Wednesday 29 October 2014

JERUSALEM AND NEW INIS FÁIL



Blake's famous poem. Then my rewrite.
From England to Ireland, from religion to mythology and from war to art.




JERUSALEM © William Blake 1757-1827




And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?




And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?




Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.




I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.




NEW INIS FÁIL © Dave Duggan 29.10.2014




And did those feet in ancient times
Walk upon Ireland's mountains green?
And was the great goddess Danú
On Ireland's pleasant pastures seen?




And did the Tuatha de Danann
Race swift upon our rolling hills?
And was Old Inis Fáil builded here
Amongst our struggles and blood spills?




Bring me my quill of ancient oak:
Bring me my verses of desire:
Bring me my ink: black berries soak!
Bring me my fancy flights of fire.




I will not cease from artful fight
Nor shall my pen sleep in my hand
Till we have built New Inis Fáil
In Ireland's green and pleasant land.




Chris Wood sings Blake's Jerusalem.








www.facebook.com/DaveDugganWriter




No comments:

Post a Comment