Friday 16 December 2016

BLOGPOST SEASONAL SPECIAL:JOEY'S DIGITAL CHRISTMAS

BLOGPOST SEASONAL SPECIAL
A SHORT STORY PUBLISHED BY THE DERRY JOURNAL, 16.12.2016        ©Dave Duggan


JOEY'S DIGITAL CHRISTMAS

We were looking at the lights on Shipquay Street when Bridget said it. The white lights stretched across the road, like silver waves on a starry blanket. It was the Saturday after Bridget finished the tests. I knew she was going to pass them and go to the school she wanted. She has Mary, her mother's, brains. And my looks. Hah!
Mary got a couple of late care shifts at Culmore Manor and there's no way she could say no to them. Since we took the mortgage on the wee house, I don't know, it's all go, all go out the door and gone, just as soon as we get it.
So I had Bridget up the town to look at the lights, because she's past twelve now and she knows there's no Santa, but Christmas still has to mean something.
Bridget pointed at the lights and smiled.
“It's Christmas, Daddy. Really, like.”
I didn't know was it really. I want things to be better for Bridget. We both do, Mary and me. We called her Bridget because its an old name in Mary's family, rooted in us, like. We only have the one wean. With the way we are now, we're just as well off.
We have a tree right enough. I always get one. I do a few weeks in the forest at the back of Galliagh with Barney Goodman and he gives me cash, an armful of holly with fiery red berries and a small tree in a pot. I put it in the yard, almost black, like, the green so dark, soaking up the rain and spiky as a hedgehog. Barney knew my father. I get a few jobs from him. In December with the trees. In March with the lambs. I'm kind of in between the town and the country. I don't know where I am, like.
Bridget and me stopped at Shipquay Gate and looked back up to the Diamond. The lights swayed in the breeze, like stars sailing. She was smiling again. I could see her teeth, dainty and white. The Guildhall clock chimed five chimes, loud enough to chase the pigeons from the city walls. They flew over our heads and scattered up and beyond the lights and then vanished.
“I'd love a computer, Daddy. For the Christmas. But there's no Santa, so …”
She left it hanging, not like a request, no, definitely, not like a demand, not even a plea or a prayer, more a statement, no, more a wish, like.
Bridget was asleep by the time Mary got home after midnight, her ankles swollen and bags under her eyes, the same eyes as her daughter, only with grey embers in them. I made her tea and toast and told her Bridget wanted a computer for Christmas. She stopped chewing the toast and put the cup out of her hand onto the floor beside her. When she looked up again, there were tears in the ashes in her eyes.
I got her up to the bed then. She pushed her feet down to the bottle I put in earlier and she gave a sniffle and smiled. We do our best to manage the oil. We're not poor. We're not at the food banks or anything. We just never seem to be far off it, with the bills, like.
I heard Mary's voice in the dark, when I turned off the bedroom light.
“We have some stuff for her, Joey. A computer? That's hundreds of pounds.”
I'd been watching Match of the Day. I usually like it, only that night it left a sour taste in my mouth, because all the talk was about money, not football, all about the value of players and the wages they were getting, thousands every week, like, not one word about if they were any good or anything.
Me and Bridget brought the tree in the next day. We let Mary lie on. The tree made the room smell fresh and clean and country. I nearly lost it with the lights, all tangled up, but not Bridget. She just stayed calm and untangled them, loop by loop, coil by coil, then laid them out along the floor and plugged them in to light up the carpet in tiny blue and red flames and she smiled and said “Da dah” like a magician. I hugged her close and thought what could she not do if she had a computer.
I said it to Mary, when she got up and before she went out to work again and she warned me to not be thinking about getting into debt, because, and she's right, we'd end up losing the house and what would a computer be to Bridget then, but I said she'd need it in the big school and Mary left in bad form, which, I know, isn't good. She's right in what she says, but. She knows the ones who call round here and give you a loan at your own front door and they only want an arm and a leg and any self-respect you have as interest on it, like.
When Barney Goodman phoned and said he had three days work for me, lugging furniture, I said yeh straight away. I mean, in the mouth of Christmas, who's going to say no? Barney owns things. Like the bit of land and forest. A van and a small truck. Sheep for lambing. Hens for eggs. We're only starting to own things. The car. The wee house. And we don't really own them. The bank does. Barney can take on jobs and move people out of this big house, under the new bridge, at the end of its own driveway, six bedrooms and two garages, with the doors going up and down on a remote.
The first day we lifted the furniture and took it to a lock-up in Pennyburn, not too far away, while two other fellas boxed stuff up and brought it to the front hall. The man who owned the house came on the third day and took two bags of decorations, baubles and lights and tinsel, like. He told Barney to take another day, if he needed it. I was carrying a box marked with a big X and when I put it on the ground, beside other boxes marked X, the man opened it and looked inside for a long time, then he turned to me and said
“You give them the best ye can, eh.”
Barney says the man and his wife are decent people, just caught in a bad situation with money they're trying to sort out. Barney told him he wouldn't need another day and your man nodded and smiled. Barney reckoned he would get more work from him in the new year. No point bogging the arm in now, like, it being Christmas and all.
When the man left, I looked in the box and, even though I know nothing about computers, I knew there was some kind of laptop, in an aluminium case, a white keyboard, two white speakers the size of milk cartons and a black flat thing like a wallet and cables and connectors and plugs.
Barney said to put the boxes with Xs on them in last and we'd take them to the dump on the way to the lock up.
I stood a minute and thought about Bridget and her voice with the wish in it and the way she got the lights working, then I took stuff out of the box, the obvious computer things and a few other items I didn't really know what they were, but they seemed to be part of it, then I got a black bin liner and Barney gave me a hand to fill it, saying
“You going all digital now, Joey?”
All I said was I hadn't a clue about any of it, but Bridget wants a computer and, I don't know, just.
Barney said he'd give the bag to his Michael, who does nothing 24/7 only computers and see if there's any good in it. Better than it going to the dump, like.
That's how we got a computer for Bridget for Christmas. Michael put it together and I picked it up on Christmas Eve. Me and Mary put it all in a big box and wrapped it in paper with spangling stars. Bridget opened it on Christmas morning, on the ground under the Christmas tree, lights blazing blue and red, her eyes shining bright as any diamond. She figured it out herself. She said we'll have to get broadband and Mary said we'd go about it in the new year, because she can see the good in it and that's all we want for Bridget. Even though we're just getting by, we're doing our best, fighting the bills, like.
We watched the telly later, me and Mary. Bridget was busy with the computer, connecting it all up, taking it apart, connecting it again and working it out, like an engineer she was, and just then, after the dinner and all, with the lights blinking on the tree and Mary snoring gently beside me on the sofa, me with a cold can going down on a belly full of food, I got the notion that this was what Christmas was really about. The bit a' plenty and sharing it around so everyone gets a fair portion of it.

© Dave Duggan December 2016

Dramatist and novelist Dave Duggan's latest book is RELATED LIVES – an imagined memoir (Guildhall Press, ISBN: 9781911053163), available from bookshops, including Little Acorns Bookstore, tel. 07776 117054 and via Amazon, in paperback and on Kindle.





www.facebook.com/DaveDugganWriter

No comments:

Post a Comment