Tuesday 28 May 2013

ONE BIG WEEKEND GOES SPECTACULAR





BBC Radio 1 rolled its One Big Weekend festival into Derry Londonderry (54 degrees North, 7 degrees West) as part of the UK City of Culture 2013 programme and went spectacular.

In societies dominated by modern conditions of production, life is presented as an immense accumulation of spectacles. Everything that was directly lived has receded into a representation.
Ellie Goulding sang 'Anything Could Happen'.

And indeed it could.

Ain't got no mother, ain't got no culture
Ain't got no friends, ain't got no schooling
Ain't got no love, ain't got no name
Ain't got no ticket, ain't got no token

It is the nature of big weekend festivals that the many more people who do not get tickets are disappointed. Some saw the acts perform in a live-streaming organised by local community groups well away from the festival site.

Following the weekend, media reports are ecstatic. The event is hailed as a major success. The sight of young people – at least some of them - smiling and enjoying themselves – at least for a weekend – is hailed as a triumph.

And it is.

Can it be sustained? Can the resources poured into the city to bring off the weekend festival by the BBC, Derry City Council, Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), Search, Fire and Rescue bodies, ambulance and hospital services, stewarding organisations and many other dispensers of public money, be gathered and spent again in the city?

Not likely.

There were efforts made by shops, hotels and bars and others to capture some of the spare cash brought by the 40 000 people who attended, as well as the jet-setting stars and their crews, thus capitalising on the massive outlay of public funds.

Is this the business model?

The spectacle presents itself as a vast inaccessible reality that can never be questioned. Its sole message is: “What appears is good; what is good appears.” The passive acceptance it demands is already effectively imposed by its monopoly of appearances, its manner of appearing without allowing any reply.
Ain't got no home, ain't got no shoes
Ain't got no money, ain't got no class
Ain't got no skirts, ain't got no sweater
Ain't got no perfume, ain't got no beer

And where is the human in all of this?

I got my heart, I got my soul
I got my back, I got my sex
I got my arms, I got my hands
I got my fingers, Got my legs
I got my feet, I got my toes
I got my liver, Got my blood

In the midst of the lonely crowd, small groups, living within – and enjoying - the spectacle, as all citizens do, are also considering moves to bypass it. They are drawn to make, not only to consume; to be, not only to have; to live, not only to exist.

The end of the history of culture manifests itself in two opposing forms: the project of culture’s self-transcendence within total history, and its preservation as a dead object for spectacular contemplation. The first tendency has linked its fate to social critique.




http://www.lyricsdepot.com/nina-simone/aint-got-no-i-got-life.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpNaAnYatE&feature=youtu.be





No comments:

Post a Comment